August 8, 2006 - New Surnames Added
July 16, 2006 - New Biography Added
July 16, 2006 - Surname Page Updated
June 21, 2006 - 1 New Obituary Added
June 2, 2006 - 1 New Obituary Added
May 25, 2006 - 2 New Obituaries Added
May 25, 2006 - 1 New Photo Added
March 31, 2006 - 3 New Obituaries Added
March 31 2006 - 2 New Surnames Added
March 5, 2006 - New Link Added
January 24, 2006-Link to McLean County Genealogical Society Added
January 13, 2006-Website Design and Organization Updates
Hon. Hubbard Graves, deceased, was numbered among the pioneers of Stephenson County, to which he came in the days of its first settlement, poor in pocket but strong in resolution and enterprise, and gifted by nature with more than ordinary ability, which rendered him a highly prized citizen and a business man who uniformly met with success. By his own efforts he obtained a good education. An extensive course of reading fully qualified him for the important position which he was destined to take in life. He served in some official capacity most of the time after reaching manhood and discharged with fidelity the various duties assigned him. He was born in Chenango County, New York, Nov 4, 1804, and departed this life at his home in Waddams Township, Sept. 26, 1884, having reached the advanced age of nearly eighty years.
The father of our subject, Consider Graves by name, was born it is supposed, in Massachusetts, whence he removed to New York State, where he remained until about 1810, when he removed to Ohio, settling near what was then the embryo town of Portsmouth, on the Scioto River. He had traded his farm in New York for a large tract of timber land in Scioto County, and eight years afterward was drowned in the Ohio river. He left a wife and six children in limited circumstances, being as were many others at that day Ïland poor. Hubbard being the eldest, the care of the family afterward mainly devolved upon him, and he remained the support and counselor of his widowed mother until her second marriage. After this event he started out for himself and learned the stonecutterÌs trade, which he followed until 1834. In the meantime he had been married, and now accompanied by his wife and one child, started for Illinois via the Ohio, Illinois and Mississippi Rivers, and located near Hennepin, whence he removed to Waddams Township in what was then Jo Daviess county and is now a part of Stephenson. This latter journey was made overland by teams. He purchased a claim on section 1 of what is now Waddams Township. A log cabin stood upon the land and into this he moved his family and made them as comfortable as possible. The land then was not even surveyed.
Mr. Graves had met with an accident and received injuries which incapacitated him for hard labor, so that at the time his land came into the market he had no money with which to purchase. He was accordingly obliged to move and made a claim in Rock Grove Township, which he was enabled to sell not long afterward for the sum of $400, which greatly relieved him from embarrassment. In 1843 he made another claim on section 2 of the same township, where he opened up a farm, established a good home and spent the remainder of his days. In the meantime he had accumulated a competency, and left his family well provided for and surrounded by all the comforts and many of the luxuries of life.
The marriage of Hubbard Graves and Miss Cynthia Roby took place in Ohio, May 16, 1829. Mrs. Graves was born in Scioto County, Ohio, and was the daughter of William and Mary Roby, who are mentioned in the sketch of their son Levi, on another page in this volume. Of this union there were born eleven children, five now living, namely, Mary; Charles; Martha J., the wife of George Stites, and a resident of Cadiz Township, Green Co., Wis.; Lora and Fannie, the two latter still remaining on the old homestead. Mrs. Graves survived her husband a little over two years, her death taking place Jan. 2, 1887.
Mr. Graves in early manhood had identified himself with the old Whig party but on its abandonment cordially indorsed [sic] Republican principles. He was the first Sheriff of Stephenson County, and besides occupying many of the minor offices of his township was Justice of the Peace for many years. He represented this and Jo Daviess County in the Illinois Legislature from 1842 to 1844, and introduced many....